Please follow me here!

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Some sketches for a Nintendo Mario game I had in mind

Hi, y'all!

How you doing on this fine day? Things are busy at my dad's house; I had to clean out the living room downstairs to make it more nice and tidy. I also had to take care of organizing the small old shed we got outside. I did succeed in making the room more standing out, but at the cost of making my own bedroom disorganized.

We have so much furniture and belongings around us that we barely have enough room to set them in appropriate places around this old house. It was built in the 1960s, yet when we moved into the house on May 1st, 2013, there were a few renovations done quite recently, especially my own bedroom to where I was assigned. There was a polished and smooth vinyl laminate that absolutely looks like planks of wood put together, or maybe it is plain wood that's been covered in some kind of solvent to make it smooth and prevent splintering.

Anyway, what I want to talk about in this blog is a few sketches I want to provide here on some kind of game I wanted to layer out completely and figure out what would be in it. I drew my inspiration from Anthony Flack's Platypus (http://www.retro64.com/platypus_game.asp), which is a good game with outstanding graphical design, yet it lacks story depth, development, and it's even a short game with just four different levels of five areas each. The first time I played the game, I actually expected it to have twenty levels since the ad at the start of the Miniclip demo did say that, meaning that there were to be 100 areas to play.

Platypus is a clay-based side-scrolling shooter game worked by Anthony Flack over a period of 18 months since 1999, after he completed his first clay shooting game, Bert the Barbarian. He did this work heavily based on the old side-scrolling shooters; in fact, to give out a more retro feel into Platypus, when he gave some word to Mike Boeh of Retro64 in Chicago back in 2004, he decided to use remixes of music composed for some Commodore 64 computer games, including Wizball, Sanxion, and Armalyte. Level 3 of the game also uses Ocean Loader Theme 4 composed by Jonathan Dunn as it was used for some of Ocean Software's C64 games. Because C64 computer games were on cassette tapes, it would take a few minutes for the game to load, and so composers wrote loading music sequences during the load to keep the players attention to a static graphic. For example, Level 2 of Platypus has music from the loading sequence of Sanxion, which is played while Sanxion is loaded up into the C64 RAM.

Platypus originally started out as a game for the PC released in 2004, two years after Anthony Flack had said that the game was completed. However, he had difficulty getting to a publisher, even though he earned a small completion bonus from Idigicon Ltd. in UK. (this is from my own memory where I read Flack's original writing on his own site that does not exist anymore)

Going back to my experience sketching out those drawings, it was during the summer where I felt like I was completely free and wanted to do what I wished, especially when there was a period where everyday, I played Mario Super Sluggers on the Wii. We did had Wii Sports Resort as well, although I wasn't actually into it as much as I hoped. And I wasn't really into Wii Fit as well because some of the music combined with the social dependency I had exhibited on my friends bought me a sad feeling instead of an optimistic one. Still, my Facebook was a whole new beginning, and yet I was to be invited by my friends for outings and whatnot.

Of course, there was one cute dream and vision I definitely had that eventually I've forgotten, but I still remember to this day. It was Princess Daisy in her Toadstool Tour clothing where she was holding Mario in such a way where it's kind of like a mother holding a baby; I was so into her looks so bad that it was something I never wanted to forget. I'm pretty sure soon enough I'll pay a tribute to Gunpei Yokoi; and hey, I've listened to one remix of the Chai Kingdom theme from Super Mario Land where it sort of turned me down more than just having to reveal some awesome thoughts I can have. It is just like Temple Grandin saying, "I don't want my thoughts to die with me. I want to have done something."

I even watched a simple animation featuring Mario playing the same remix. Of course, the original theme composed by Hirokazu Tanaka, the same composer for Metroid for the NES, doesn't actually turn me down at all. The original theme was composed in such a way where it emphasizes Mario's battle against Tatanga that invaded Sarasaland, but the calmness allows the Chai Kingdom to reveal its identity.

Super Mario Land was another worldwide-acclaimed project created by Gunpei Yokoi, who unfortunately died in 1997 in a car sideswipe on one of Japan's highways.


Anyway, going back into the sketches I've done, let me give you a few photographs you can load up and see the original drawings I've done. It really wasn't that much because I had boredom in designing since it wouldn't end up being so acclaimed and earn public attention, as well as me wanting to play Chris Sawyer's Locomotion and some of the games I had. It didn't left the drawing board. The game I made my sketches on, I called it "Super Mario Bros. The Fighter Attack."

There are nine different visuals I want to present to you; there are captions at the bottom of each one for you to see what it is I'm talking about. They are huge images when you click on them, because I originally scanned them on my own printer at 200 dots per inch. Oh, and sorry about the fold creases; these sheets were scanned back all the way in 2010.

First side of the quick and rough storyline (actually from the start) I wrote on this game I quickly drew sketches on. It's written in such a way where it would be part of the package of the game that were to be sold.

Second side of the storyline. MK stands for Mushroom Kingdom.


The Main Menu of the game; it was obviously going to be built for the Wii with the Wii Remote played sideways, laser pointing to the left from holding, just like Super Paper Mario and its NES-styled gameplay.


The in-game screen from where a level starts. So much detail, yet there would be a lot of parallax scrolling involved!


Short poster ad of the game.


The logo for this campaign I would have set up, but can't because it would be an infringement of copyright. For now, my own video gaming studio would be called "Dutch Windmill Games," with incorporated partnership. (The official full name of this made-up company is thus called Dutch Windmill Games, Inc.)


A draw-up of the different weapons available for the game.


Finally, a sketch of a boss fight. This is Mario against King Kaliente from Super Mario Galaxy.

Well, that does it for those sketches. I'm not an artist, but I have taken over two years of artwork done at Heritage Regional High School; some of the artwork I did before was so amazing that it would have been awesome if I shared it here, and I worked my way up in becoming more of a fantastic artist.

See you all later!



Please follow my blogger by going to the top of this page, and click on "Join this site," big blue button with the Google logo!

Oh, and please make a donation to this campaign: http://www.gofundme.com/af3kwc
I would also appreciate if you could please spread the word; that would be awesome!
The campaign can also be found here: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/end33

I would really appreciate if you could please make a donation, primarily for me to pay the costs for my crowdfunding promotion!
 Click here to follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAspergerComputerGregDes
 Please follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GregoryDes
You can also follow me on Instagram! @gregpdesig

Google+ Followers

Popular Posts by Gregory